Thursday, January 25, 2018

HaNDL Syndrome

I thought I would share something very personal with you.  It happened seven years ago.  But to this day it still haunts me.

First of all I would like to say how very lucky I am to be alive today.

Lets begin a month before it happen.  I remember I was at my friends house and we were talking in her kitchen and I looked outside.  She had a beautiful back yard with a huge swimming pool.  I remember feeling a bit off, like my brain was fuzzy.  I don't know I couldn't put it down to anything I had ever felt before, so I just pushed it to one side, thinking it would just go away.

Little did I know it was the start of something big that was going to change my life forever.  The fuzzy feeling I felt in my head wasn't there all the time it would come and go.  I did think about going to the doctors but I didn't know how to describe it, so I let it go.

I remember going to work that morning and my manager getting me a hot chocolate and it tasting funny.  I was starting to feel really weird very nauseous and getting a headache.  I told my manager how I was feeling and she told me to go home.

But before going home I went and got McDonald's, because I thought I needed something to eat.  As I got home my headache started to get worse so I decided to go lay down.  I was lucky to have my two oldest kids home.  And was grateful my youngest two were at school.  My husband kept ringing and I kept on hanging up on him because my headache was turning into a migraine.  But something else happen, I started talking gibberish so no one could understand me.  My son rang his dad and told him what was going on and so he came home.  I could understand what they were saying but they couldn't understand me.

My son thought it was funny until he saw the look on his dads face, then he knew something was wrong.  My husband said to my son I'm taking your mother to the hospital, my daughter was in the background listening to what was happening and said to her dad she was coming too.  My husband looked at her and said he didn't think that was a very good idea.  To have my daughter tell him she is my mum and I'm coming.

As with all public hospitals we had to wait to see the doctors, well until they spoke to me and realize that something was very wrong.  They took me to an exam room, I remember sitting on the bed and waking up the next day in the hospital with a tube down my throat.  Both my wrists were in soft restraints, I didn't know why that was.  And I couldn't ask why because of the tube down my throat.

Later when the doctor came to see me he said he would take the restraints off if I would be good,  I nodded yes.  He then explained why I had to have the restraints on...........

For the next couple of days I felt like a pin cushion because I had to have a lot of blood taken to work out what was wrong with me.  I had a brain scan which found a lot of fluid on my brain.  But still could not work out what was causing my symptoms.  So after three days they sent me home.  In four days I was back in hospital with the same symptoms, once again they took more blood.  Once again I found myself sitting on the bed waiting for my husband to come, when once again I blacked out again to find myself in soft restraints and temporary blindness.

It was then they found out just what I had HaNDL Syndrome.  Your not likely to find it easy on line and not a lot of doctors know about it.  Its very rare and it only happens once or twice a year where I live in the state.  Not everyone will have the same experience as me.  And because it has to do with the brain it has effected me in some ways of which I don't want to say.  It does last six weeks,  but the side effects last a life time.

I have waited seven years to write this, and some things I have left out because its to painful to share.  Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Image result for Strong Journey

Take care until next time.:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment